Sunday, September 30, 2007

Breakfast at a Disneyland Original

After opening the park and then immediately riding the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, we were starving. Our usual breakfast location in Disneyland, The Riverbelle Terrace, was under renovation (it's where we ate breakfast the last time we opened Disneyland). So this time, we went to the Carnation Café, that little outdoor restaurant in the heart of Main Street.

Amy and Tim can't decide what they want. (09/30/07)
Amy and Tim can't decide what they want. (09/30/07)

We had been there once before for dinner, but never for breakfast, so in that sense, it was a first for us. I was surprised to learn that when Disneyland opened in 1955, that the Carnation Café was actually indoors, in the building that is now the Blue Ribbon Bakery. The area where the restaurant now sits was at one time an area where they sold fresh flowers.

Oscar's Choice: The Café Scramble. (09/30/07)
Oscar's Choice: The Café Scramble. (09/30/07)

Not only is the Carnation Café a 1955 original, the food is also cooked under the direction of Oscar Martinez, who has the distinction of being Disneyland's longest serving employee (50+ years). A legend among Disneyland devotees, Oscar has been around as long as the park has. He has even cooked for Mr. Walt Disney himself.

The Carnation Café menu. (09/30/07)
The Carnation Café menu. (09/30/07)

On the days he works, Oscar is known to come out and greet customers, making sure their meals are satisfactory. Unfortunately he wasn't working this morning. He only works weekdays, which are the typically the days we're not there. Oh well, it leaves us something to aspire to do there another time.

The Croissant Benedict. (09/30/07)
The Croissant Benedict. (09/30/07)

But Tim, Amy and Ashley did pay tribute to Oscar by ordering Oscar's Choice for breakfast. I was the Benedict Arnold who ordered the Croissant Benedict. I'm sure Oscar will forgive me.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Is Tom taking note of your beautifully photographed foods?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Melissa, I am, and wow...how can I even compete with that Croissant Benedict?! Beautiful! I wouldn't know whether to eat it or...well, you know, enjoy it in a biblical sense. Seriously, great pics, dude!

I wish I had James with me when I photographed those sloppy wet ribs in Memphis!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, you'd think Tom would have some eating disorder that way he goes on about the food... ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous...

Kiss my grits! Yes, even my insults involve food! =)