Sunday, September 02, 2007

Disneyland 5K Marathon

Today I did a 5K marathon. Yes, you read that correctly. I actually got my fat ass up at 5:30 a.m. this morning for the Disneyland 5K Marathon. Tim and I were supposed to go together, but due to the long drive yesterday after coming home from the desert due to Tim's dad's triple bypass surgery, Tim was too tired and opted to sleep in. (FYI, Tim's dad is recovering extraordinarily well and ended up going home today).

The marathon went right through Sleeping Beauty's Castle. (09/02/07)
The marathon went right through Sleeping Beauty's Castle. (09/02/07)

I did not have to race alone. Along for the ride were my pals Cass and Dori from work (actually Dori is my manager, but we're pals too).

Pluto cheers James on. (09/02/07)
Pluto cheers James on. (09/02/07)

Tim and I actually signed up for this event months ago. And at the time we actually had these grandiose plans that we would actually train for this event (what fools were we?!). :)

James & Dori stop for a pic with Chip & Dale. (09/02/07)
James & Dori stop for a pic with Chip & Dale. (09/02/07)

As it turned out, I basically did this one cold. And to be completely honest, I don't know if you could call what I did running. It was more like a brisk walk. Many others were doing the same thing too (especially since it was so hot, even at 7:00 a.m.).

Daisy was one of the cheerleaders placed along the route. (09/02/07)
Daisy was one of the cheerleaders placed along the route. (09/02/07)

What was fun for me was the fact that the track actually took you past some back-stage areas of Disneyland, which I had never in my life seen. (Sorry, no pictures were allowed in the backstage areas). For example, did you know they have an employee-only haircutting place? It's called Cast Cutters.

Cass, James and Dori after completing the race. (09/02/07)
Cass, James and Dori after completing the race. (09/02/07)

We completed the first mile in 25 minutes, 12 seconds. And before you say how slow that is, keep in mind that the 25-minute time includes stopping to pose with some of the Disney characters that were positioned along the route. In our book, good photo ops trump marathon time every time.

James gets his medal for finishing the marathon. (09/02/07)
James gets his medal for finishing the marathon. (09/02/07)

For mile 2, we picked up the pace a little, completing it in 22 minutes, 18 seconds. For mile 3, however, we did our best time at 19 minutes, 5 seconds. In the end, we ran across the finish line (our first time running the entire time). In the end, we finished the 5K marathon in 1 hour, 9 minutes and 7 seconds.

Cass, Dori and James show off their medals. (09/02/07)
Cass, Dori and James show off their medals. (09/02/07)

Afterward, we got our medal for completing the course. I even won a car! (A Chevron toy car, that is). Overall it was a blast. I'd do it again next year. Who else is in?

2 comments:

Pueblogirl said...

I can understand why Tim couldnt go with you James, but we are glad to see you still went through with it. Maybe you'll be inspired to sign-up for more, they're really fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Dori and Cass actually did the run, but who are you kidding, hermano? I know you just rode that monorail round the park a few times...