Monday, November 28, 2005

From James' Dad's Vault

I forgot to mention in my Thanksgiving wrapup that my Dad recently came across this delightful old gem: The publicity photo of The Roaming Guitars, the folk band that my Mom and Dad were in back in the late 60s and early 70s.


The Roaming Guitars: Tina, Ruben 1, David, Pete and Ruben 2. Click the photo to see a larger version of the pic. (c. 1968-1972)

It was pretty much a living room band, with a set list consisting of mostly Beatles covers, some Spanish songs (i.e. "Guantanamera") and other period classics (like Peter Paul & Mary's "I Dig Rock and Roll Music.")


A close-up of my Mom and Dad in their hippie days ... although my Dad insists that he and my Mom didn't qualify as true hippies, since they were "straighter than a laser beam." (c. 1968-1972)

They never actually recorded anything professionally (unless you count the bootlegs my dad recorded on his old reel-to-reel recorder). But they did have a few notable live gigs, including a local access TV channel in Pacifica, CA. They also performed at the grand opening of Serramonte, a big mall in Daly City that was state-of-the-art when it opened in 1968.

4 comments:

Butterfly Queen said...

I think that's enough to qualify you to be on The Surreal Life...

Laura Gonzalez said...

Tres cool!

Your dad looks more different then your mom. That is to say, she was easily recognizable.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I remember them like that!

Love,
Cousin Anita

Askjames said...

This 1Twistedblogger, was persent, for the Photo shoot. Actualy, the Band was into Iron butterfly; however, obtaining air play for that genre, was so very hard that, the band, had to tone down their sound. They first tried,getting into the Mahavishnu Orchestra; but, they had to tone it down for the Serramonte Mall gig. I use-to listen to them, I thought they Jammed. Mom and Pops, I guess were really Rocking out, at that time.