Saturday, June 11, 2005

First California Quarter Sighting

After more than six years in the waiting, I finally received the California state quarter! I knew that California's quarter was coming out this year, but I didn't know exactly when. So needless to say, when I got my change after making a small purchase at Ace Hardware, I was pleasantly surprised to see the first appearance of the quarter from my own state.


Six years in the waiting, I finally got my first California quarter. (06/11/05)

When the series began in 1999, I thought the 50 state quarters idea was a great concept. But at the time, 2005 seemed so far away. Flash forward six years later, and it's finally here, depicting naturalist and conservationist John Muir admiring Yosemite Valley’s monolithic granite headwall known as "Half Dome." It also contains a soaring California condor. Altogether it looks pretty darn sharp, I must say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When they first started releasing the state quarters, I had the idea of collecting them. But, then, eventually, I'd spend them. Now, I have only the states represented in my pocket. :o)