Friday, March 30, 2007

Davis Gaines at the Carpenter Lounge

Tonight I saw a performance by a Broadway legend (to me, anyway) — Mr. Davis Gaines. Okay, I realize he may not be a household name. But for we musical theatre fans, Davis Gaines is best known for having played the title role in the Phantom of the Opera for more than 2,000 performances in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Davis Gaines in a photo from his website. (1998)
Davis Gaines in a photo from his website. (1998)

He actually played the role the one and only time I saw Phantom, back in 1993 with Tom and Christine and the gang. I remember being quite impressed with his voice. In fact, if you were to ask me if I could sing like anyone in the world, I'd answer Davis Gaines in a heartbeat (followed closely by Michael Ball).

I last saw a Davis Gaines performance in September 2004 when he was in Side By Side By Sondheim at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. The show itself was kind of weak, but his solo numbers were great.

The Carpenter Center for the Performing Arts. (03/30/07)
The Carpenter Center for the Performing Arts. (03/30/07)

Strangely he looked about 10 years younger in tonight's show than he did when I saw him in 2004. I'd say he looked like he was 33 years old, and not 53 years old like he really is. Gee, I wonder how that happens? :)

The Carpenters' gold records. (03/30/07)
The Carpenters' gold records. (03/30/07)

The show was at the Carpenter Lounge (aka backstage at the Carpenter Center for the Performing Arts) located at Long Beach State University. They had all sorts of Carpenters memorabilia there, including awards, gold and platinum records, and even some of their musical instruments.

Karen Carpenter's drum set and her brother's organ. (03/30/07)
Karen Carpenter's drum set and her brother's organ. (03/30/07)

Davis did an outstanding show, consisting of old standards for the first act, and Broadway performances in the second act (with The Music of the Night from Phantom as his encore). In between songs, he kept us well entertained with lots of fun stories from his long career. It was a great night!

No comments: