Sunday, October 14, 2007

Merhegan: Persian Festival of Autumn

Every autumn, some of the people I work with volunteer their time for Merhegan, an annual two-day festival for the Persian community celebrating the autumn harvest. I went last year with my boss Dori. So we decided to make it a tradition and go again. (And like last year, it helped that our connections got us some comp tickets — normally $23 in advance, and $28 the day of.)

I work with this guy, who painted the art behind him. (10/14/07)
I work with this guy, who painted the art behind him. (10/14/07)

Held at the Orange County Fairgrounds, the Merhegan festival is what you would expect at most cultural festivals. Lots of food vendors. A products and services area where businesses extend their outreach programs. And of course entertainment. All were in abundance.

Dori and her thing for men in uniform. (10/14/07)
Dori and her thing for men in uniform. (10/14/07)

Last year we went when the festival first opened (to avoid big crowds). This year, at the request of some of our co-workers, we went later in the day, so that we could see it when it was full. Indeed, it was much more crowded this year than last.

I work with two of the people here. (10/14/07)
I work with two of the people here. (10/14/07)

We had some great food from Bahar restaurant. We both ordered the boneless chicken kabob, served with Persian-style rice and a roasted tomato. It was great (as Persian food most always is).

James is about to sink his teeth into his strawberry dulce de leche crepe. (10/14/07)
James is about to sink his teech into his strawberry dulce de leche crepe. (10/14/07)

Afterward we stopped at the crepe booth where Dori and I each got a desert (I got strawberries with dulce de leche). I know, not exactly a Persian dessert, but still good! It was a nice way to cap off the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I love about you, James, you're so pan-cultural. A chicken kabob in one hand, dulce de leche crepe in the other and probably a couple of nice American-made Tums to finish it all off! So continental!!

No, seriously, I'm kinda drooling right now thinking about that rice and roasted tomato...yum!