Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Another Night With Jones the Voice

For the two people that read this blog with any regularity, you might remember the first adventure with Me and Mr. Jones from last May. It was a night that changed my life. It was the first time I finally got to see Tom Jones in concert. And seven months later, he came to do four nights in Orange County. And once again I was there. And once again, he pulled off another incredible night.


Another fantastic performance by the legendary Tom Jones. From TomJones.com.

This time I brought Tim with me, as well as our friend Everett. Everett was easy. Tim took a little convincing. But I knew that once he saw his first Tom Jones show, he would be a convert.

The venue was The Grove of Anaheim, which is just a couple of miles from our house. It was the first time there for both me and Tim, and it was nice. It's a dinner theater, so you end up sitting with other people and making small talk. In our case we had a blast chatting it up with this mother-and-daughter pair from Woodland Hills (Judy and Kitty) who were lots of fun.


And what a fantastic concert it was again. This guy seriously rocks. (12/13/05)

Then Tom Jones came out and rocked the house for the next hour-and-a-half. basically sang the same stuff he sang last May, a mix of his greatest hits, along with selections from the albums he recorded with Wyclef Jean and former Squeeze co-founder Jools Holland. The set list included (in approximate order):
  • Tom Jones International
  • Mama Told Me Not to Come
  • Who Will the Next Fool Be?
  • Delilah
  • Help Yourself
  • We've Got Tonight
  • She's a Lady
  • If I Only Knew
  • My Babe
  • Hanging Up My Heart for You
  • Green Green Grass of Home
  • What's New Pussycat
  • Mom and Dad's Waltz
  • 200Lbs of Heavenly Joy
  • End of the Road
  • What am I Living For?
  • I'll Never Fall in Love Again
  • You Can Leave Your Hat On
  • Sexbomb
  • It's Not Unusual
  • High Heel Sneakers (encore)
  • Kiss (encore)

It was a great show, and because I had a better seat than last time, I enjoyed even more than the first time. Who wants to come along the next time he's in town? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom Jones was my Mom's FAVORITE, Jim, and my first exposure to sanctioned viewing of male gyrations! Hee-Hee!

This summer my boys overheard me listening to a TJ cd and asked to hear the whole thing ... from the beginning. Needless to say, they can now sing every song by heart!

I'm going to have to find out when he'll be here!

Love,
Cousin Anita

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

Next time TJ in playing locally (within a 300 miles radius) I would love to see TJ perform. Wild & Crazy Nancita!