Sunday, June 27, 2010

One Year Without Farrah

Just over a year ago we lost one of Hollywood's brightest stars, and an icon of my youth, the late great Farrah Fawcett. I always felt a little bad about the news coverage of Farrah's passing (or lack thereof) being that she died the same day as Michael Jackson, whose death clearly stole the headlines.

James with his childhood Farrah Fawcett poster. (06/25/2010)
James with his childhood Farrah Fawcett poster. (06/25/2010)

But when I read it was the one-year anniversary of Farrah's passing, I thought I would pay my small tribute. I'm not going to try to summarize her life. Many others have done that better than I ever could. Mostly I just want to share some of my Farrah memories.

Close-up of my childhood Farrah Fawcett poster. (06/25/2010)
Close-up of my childhood Farrah Fawcett poster. (06/25/2010)

Like any boy who grew up in the 1970s, I was fascinated by Farrah. Charlie's Angels was a cultural phenomenon. My favorite t-shirt at the time had a picture of all three of the original angels. My mom often spoke of the time at some cub scout awards event, I went up on stage and proudly showed off my Charlie's Angels shirt to the audience.

Farrah's signature on the iconic poster. (06/25/2010)
Farrah's signature on the iconic poster. (06/25/2010)

And like every other boy of that period, I too had "The Poster," the iconic 1976 poster of Farrah. Believe it or not, 34 years later, I still have it. It was in the garage. So I dug it out on the anniversary to pay a small homage.

I visited Farrah at Westwood Memorial Park. (04/27/2010)
I visited Farrah at Westwood Memorial Park. (04/27/2010)

Recently I went to the Westwood Memorial Park, where Farrah was layed to rest. It was sad to see her name written on her headstone. But one thing that made me happy was thinking back to how bright her star shone back in the day. Rest in peace our dear Farrah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I cannot believe how freaking beautifully-intact your Farrah poster is! I never owned one myself, but, if I did, that thing would have been thrashed long ago. Kudos to you for keeping it so pristine!

Dave Smith would be so proud! :)