Monday, January 15, 2007

Belated Christmas in San Ramon

As you read in earlier posts, my family was out of town for actual Christmas. So we got together in San Ramon once they returned. I always enjoy going up there, especially since my sister Anna, 7, and brother John Paul, 2, are growing up so fast. And believe it or not, I have a third sibling on the way, a boy, due in May. More on that to come!

Anna and John Paul. (01/07)
Anna and John Paul. (01/07)

We didn't do a whole lot other than spend time with family, with one eventful excursion that I'll write about separately. We were supposed to hang out with our friends Doris and Jen (our vacation buddies in French Canada and Virgin Islands). But Doris, it turned out, got sick rather suddenly, so we had to postpone.

James and Anna at Nation's Giant Hamburgers. (01/07)
James and Anna at Nation's Giant Hamburgers. (01/07)

I also had a real craving to go to Nation's, a Bay Area hamburger chain that serves up these awesome hamburgers. Even during the brief one-year stint in the early 1990s when I gave up red meat, I still went to Nation's for their grilled cheese sandwiches. It was Anna's first time. She only ate half of the hamburger (we brought the other half home to our dad).

Anna opens up a present. (01/07)
Anna opens up a present. (01/07)

Opening Christmas presents was fun. It always is when little kids are involved. Anna got some books and the DVD of my favorite Disney animated film ever, The Little Mermaid. John Paul, on the other hand, got the new Tickle Me Elmo TMX, as well as a big UPS truck, just like the one he admired at our house last August.

John Paul unwraps the UPS truck Santa brought him. (01/07)
John Paul unwraps the UPS truck Santa brought him. (01/07)

Tim and I also managed to make it down to San Jose to visit my Aunts Nicky and Margaret, who are doing well. We brought them some pan dulce from the Pink Elephant market, which I hadn't been to since I was a kid! My aunt Nicky, who is my mom's oldest sister, was telling me all sorts of old family stories that I hadn't heard before. It's always fun to pop by for a visit. Their two dogs, Jigs and Cuddles, always crack me up.

I visited my aunts Nicky and Margaret while up there. (01/07)
I visited my aunts Nicky and Margaret while up there. (01/07)

On our last full day there, we took Anna to the movies to see Happily Never After. I think I remember the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes. The rest of the time, both Tim and I were out cold asleep. Old age, I guess.

Later, my cousins Michele, Lisa and daughter Liele stopped by for a short visit. It was fun watching Liele and John Paul play together.

Lisa, Liele and Michele stopped by for a visit too. (01/07)
Lisa, Liele and Michele stopped by for a visit too. (01/07)

Looking forward to the next visit to San Ramon in March!

No comments: